Wanted - Board members for Wikimedia Belgium
Wikimedia Belgium NPO is the national Wikimedia association in Belgium. To strengthen our operations, Wikimedia Belgium is seeking additional board members. According to the Belgian Companies and Associations Code, there must be at least 3 board members.
Wikimedia Belgium does not yet have any staff. All activities, including the board, are performed by volunteers without remuneration. Expenses are reimbursed to the extent that they are in line with the tasks and after prior approval.
We are looking for motivated candidates who want to spend a (significant) part of their free time contributing to the functioning of the national association to support Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata and related Wikimedia projects, as well as third parties who want to use such projects.
Be of age, have full civil rights, be a member for at least 6 months, be accepted by the board as an effective member, have no conflict of interest.
Members of the executive board (directors) are elected by the general assembly for 2 years (the president is elected each year).
The board represents Wikimedia Belgium. They decide collegially, have all legal rights and obligations towards the association and are accountable to the general assembly, the Wikimedia Foundation, the authorities and to the Friends of Wikimedia Belgium Fund for specific projects.
The functions of the board are collegially distributed by mutual agreement within the board. The president represents the association abroad, towards partners, third parties and towards the Wikimedia Foundation.
The effective members, gathered in the general assembly, elect the board members. The elected board members deliberate and decide among themselves about the distribution of their mandates:
- president: coordinates the board, is the (inter)national contact person
- secretary: reports on official meetings, maintains archives of the organisation (on Wiki, Google Suite and on paper)
- treasurer: accounting, access to the bank account, payments, incoming and outgoing invoices, approval and payment of expense notes and allowances, yearly budget, monitoring of revenues and budgets, drawing up the annual accounts, filing of the income tax, declaration of the annual tax on non-profit organisations
- communication officer: contact with the press, radio, TV, newsletter
- public relations: contacts with GLAM, heritage, the world of education, social platforms
- project manager: setting up, implementing and monitoring projects
- Setting up and carrying out activities and cooperation with museums, universities, colleges, heritage institutions, libraries, archives
- Supporting our volunteers
- Preparation, approval and follow-up of the budget
- Cooperating with the other national Wikimedia associations, user groups and associations with similar objectives
- Updating the different (administrative) Wikis
- Maintaining the association's public website
- Managing the social platforms
- Answering emails, telephone calls, and messages from third parties
Depending on the specific tasks, the following tasks and activities are expected to be performed. Depending on the division of tasks and the responsibilities included, this will take a few hours or several days per week/month.
- Board meetings (several per year)
- Setting up, following up and executing projects (several per month, to be divided among the project leaders)
- Searching for opportunities and cooperation with third parties to set up projects that fit our mission
- Possible (multi-day) trips abroad (Wikimedia conference, European chair meeting, regional meetings, Wikimania, GLAM conference)
Please note: not every board member must have all listed qualifications. The board works as a college, using the optimum mix of the capacities of each board member for the “best fit” assignment.
- Familiar with the Wikimedia movement
- Being interested in the Wikimedia projects
- Being well informed about the Wikimedia projects and platforms
- Preferably trilingual NL/FR/EN
- Fluent in oral and written communication
- Experience in contacts with the press, radio, TV
- Experience with social platforms
- Fluent in reporting
- Experience with museums, heritage, archives, education, libraries
- Experience setting up, budgeting and executing projects
- Experience with drafting and validating contracts
- Knowledge of the Belgian non-profit legislation
- Experience in drafting budgets
- Not afraid of (complex) legal administration
- Experience with public administration
- Knowledge of accounting
- Social skills
- Being able to cooperate smoothly with other institutions and associations
- Easy collaboration with the other board members
- Effective collaboration with the Friends of Wikimedia Belgium Fund
Your identity (based on the national registration number or the BISNR for foreigners) is registered with the Belgian authorities via the Enterprise Court (Moniteur Belge, Crossroads Bank for Enterprises, UBO register). You will also be informed of this by the authorities. It allows you to manage administrative changes or records via the e-ID.
You can apply by sending a motivated e-mail to infowikimedia.be. Questions can also be sent to this address. You commit yourself for a term of 2 years, which can be extended after re-election.