Wikipedia is a collaboratively edited knowledge platform hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wikipedia has as goal to collect knowledge in the form of encyclopaedic texts.
History and background
Wikipedia was founded in 2001 and has since then grown to one of the largest websites in the world. See for the larger history of Wikipedia the article History of Wikipedia.
Wikimedia Belgium has no authority in Wikipedia as it is the community on the local Wikipedia who makes the decisions and as the website is owned by the Wikimedia Foundation. Wikimedia Belgium is however founded to support local volunteers and organisations in working with Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia platforms, and we have years of experience in helping organisations with using Wikipedia and adding knowledge from collections/archives to Wikipedia.
- 15 January 2001 - Start of the English Wikipedia
- June 2001 - Start of the Dutch, French, and German language Wikipedia (together with some other main languages)
- 7 September 2004 - Start of Wikimedia Commons, images are from now on hosted on this separate platform
- 30 October 2012 - Start of Wikidata with first content
Projects in Belgium
Below is an incomplete list of projects done in Belgium on Wikipedia.
- 4-17 April 2016 - Writing weeks about Brussels on Wikipedia (info)
- 2016 - Art project Dutch language Wikipedia printed in Ghent (info)
- 22 April-6 May 2017 - Writing weeks about Brussels on Wikipedia (info)
- August-September 2017 - Writing sessions during the TheaterFestival in Brussels as part of the project Wikify het Theaterfestival! (info)
- 9 December 2017 - Edit-a-thon about Vorst and dance (info)
- 8 March 2018 - GenderGap edit-a-thon in Brussels (info)
- 1-31 March 2018 - Mois de la contribution 2018 (info)
- 20 May 2018 - Amnesty edit-a-thon in Brussels (info)
- 13 October 2018 - Women in Tech edit-a-thon (info)
Wikipedia writing sessions
To improve and expand Wikipedia, often Wikipedia writing sessions are organised. These writing sessions can be organised internally for only the staff of an organisation or open for anyone interested to learn about Wikipedia and willing to edit. Wikipedia writing sessions open to the public are often referred to as edit-a-thons.
Wikipedia Education Program
In Belgium we also organise the Wikipedia Education Program. In this program we work together with all kinds of educational institutions and has as purpose to have students write Wikipedia articles instead of throwaway assignments. See for more information the project pages in Wikipedia:
- Wikipedia Education Program main page in the English Wikipedia
- Wikipedia Education Program main page in the Dutch Wikipedia
- Article about Wikipedia in Wikipedia