WMF Chapter Roles and responsibilities
The Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) and the Chapters have a shared and complementary matrix of rights, obligations, and mutual responsibilities.
Freedom ends where the right of the other begins
Freedom is bound by rights, obligations, and responsibilities.
WMF and the Chapters are legally independent, though they are bound by a contract and are serving congruent objectives within and amongst their organisation(s):
- The Foundation is legally bound by the Californian and USA legislation.
- The Chapter is legally bound by the Brussels, Flemish, Belgian Federal, and European legislation.
- The Chapter agreement is bound by the Californian legislation.
The Foundation and the Chapters have a mutual responsibility towards the movement and the volunteers.
The below is an attempt to document this Roles and Responsibilities matrix, in order for (board) members, and others, to understand how the Wikimedia organisation as a whole (needs to) behave(s), also with respect to the Wikimedia movement, and its volunteers.
- Chapter agreements
- m:Affiliations Committee/Resolutions/Wikimedia Belgium - June 2014
- m:Chapter agreements
- m:Wikimedia chapters
- Reports/Affiliate Chairpersons meeting 2018