Hack The Gender Gap edit-a-thon January 2019
This page documents the Hack The Gender Gap edit-a-thon organised in January 2019.
New Year, New Goals! And this year we’re aiming high: we want to Hack The Gender Gap.
Wikipedia is the 5th most visited website in the world. It’s simple: we all used it when searching for information about a famous person or a historical event.
But did you know that only 17% of Wikipedia bio’s were about women?
It’s a woefully inaccurate reflection of women’s achievements. And we’ve got great news: you can help.BeCentral & Wikimedia Belgium are thrilled to invite you to “Hack The Gender Gap”, a unique event where we’ll join forces to add women’s profiles on Wikipedia. And believe us, the feeling you get out is simply BRILLIANT: You learn about some extraordinary kick-ass women and you empower them by recognizing their work.
— from the Eventbrite page
History and background
Research has shown that there are much less articles about women than men, which is called gendergap. To close this gendergap, over the years many activities have been organised. One of these activities is the Women in Tech edit-a-thon we organised in BeCentral in October 2018 and aimed for making the gendergap smaller concerning women with important positions in the tech industry. This edit-a-thon has led to the start of the Wiki Club Brussels and now the Hack The Gender Gap edit-a-thon.
- Boardroom: Romaine + volunteers: Dries, Astrid
- LeWagon: Jan + volunteers: Ana, Clementine
- CitizenLab: Geert + volunteers: Aline, Maïté, Laurent
- BeCode: Paul Hermans + volunteers: Pieter, Michiel
- GLAM program
- 15 January 2019 - Wiki Club Brussels meeting (5th) during Civic Lab Brussels in BeCentral (info | en-wiki meetup page)
- 29 January 2019 - Hack The Gender Gap edit-a-thon in BeCentral in Brussels (activity page | photos)
- 31 January 2019 - Articles from the Hack The Gender Gap edit-a-thon reviewed and published (activity page)
- 8 February 2019 - Mailing with invitation for next week's Wiki Club Brussels sent to participants edit-a-thon of 29 January (Romaine)
The metrics and statistics of this project are:
- Number of people present with an activity: 74 people
- Number of newly registered users: 46
- Number of content pages created/improved: 54
- Number of edit-a-thons and workshops: 1
- Number of coaches: 6
- Hack The Gender Gap edit-a-thon page on the English Wikipedia
- Photos of the event on Wikimedia Commons
- #HackTheGenderGap on Twitter
Announcements and notices
- ( ) Volwassen worden doet pijn, ook voor Wikipedia, De Morgen, 15 January 2019
- ( ) Wikipedia et les femmes : Hack the Gender Gap, RTBF, 27 January 2019 (radio + video)
- ( ) Des soirées pour que Wikipédia manque un peu moins de nanas, Le Soir, 27 January 2019
- ( ) Een Wiki-pagina voor haar: ‘Hack the gender gap’ wil meer vrouwen in Wikipedia, De Morgen, 28 January 2019
- ( ) Wikithon pour plus de diversité sur Wikipédia, RTBF, 29 January 2019 (web TV)