Report of the 2nd semester
Wikimedia Belgium was set up end of last year. It is based on this presentation given to the board, and was approved by the board on Dec 31, 2014. It is based on the SWOT analysis of our organization performed with our members.
This is an application for the activities of the Wikimedia Belgium chapter in the coming six months (January-June). It includes
- Part #1 - outreach efforts to our community (General Assembly, website);
- Part #2 - the first steps in organizing projects (Project Days, provisioning for the first small projects); and
- Part #3 - capacity building of the board (regular board meetings, attendance at WM related conferences).
Planned and executed
WMBE Capacity building activities
|Planned Activity||Executed activites||Date||Link/Comment|
|Organisation of meetings with our stakeholders:||Board Meetings||23 July||Brussels (notules)|
|18 October -||notules|
|14 November 2015-||wikimeet in Antwerpen}|
|5 December 2015 -||notules (photos)|
|WM related conferences||SOIMA Brussels 2015||* 2-4 September -||SOIMA 2015 conference with Wikimedia booth, WMBE sponsored conference, announcement collaboration with KIK-IRPA and start Wiki Loves Art|
|WMNL/WMBE Erasmus prijs celebrations||* 23-28 November 2015 -||Amsterdam studiedag Wikipedia] - Prijsuitreiking Erasmusprijs Amsterdam - and - Conferentie Wikimedia Nederland, Utrecht (NL)|
- 2-4 September - SOIMA 2015 conference with Wikimedia booth, WMBE sponsored conference, announcement collaboration with KIK-IRPA and start Wiki Loves Art, release 6 WMBE publications (Romaine & DerekvG & MADe) (photos | blog)
- 3 September - Deposit of 6 publications to Royal Library (Romaine)
- 11 September 2015 - Our new website http://www.wikimedia.be went live.
- 18 October - Board meeting (8th) at Place de Londres, Brussels (notules)
- 25 October 2015 - Inauguration d'une digithèque libre consacrée aux ouvrages de Philippe Roberts-Jones, Musée des Beaux-Arts.
- 27 October 2015 - Le Livre sur le Livre, présentation de Wikisource, dans le cadre de la Quinzaine du numérique, Mons.
- 28 October - Meeting of project Flemish art collections, Wikidata and Linked Open Data in Brussels (Sandra Fauconnier, Romaine, Barbara (Packed vzw))
- 28 October 2015 - Hoe schrijf ik artikels voor Wikipedia? (informatie), Vorming+, Brugge
- 14 November 2015 14h - wikimeet in Antwerpen. Afspraak om 14h aan de leeuwen van de Zoo van Antwerpen (voor het Centraal Station).
- 20 November 2015 - 21 November 2015 meta:EU_policy/Big_Fat_Brussels_Meeting_-_Episode_3 Fat Brussels Meeting concerning EU Policy, 25th floor WTC I-building, Brussels
- 20 November 2015 - Gent Edit-a-thon in Library Lab UGent WeChangEd georganiseerd door Sandra Fauconnier
- 23 November 2015 - 4 weken lang NPO Doc TV uitzendingen over (Open) Informatie op Internet
- 23 November 2015 - Amsterdam studiedag Wikipedia
- 25 November 2015 - Amsterdam - lezing Jimmy Wales
- 25 November 2015 - Prijsuitreiking Erasmusprijs Amsterdam + Wikimeet in Amsterdam 25 november 
- 25-27/11 - Amsterdam - Bijzondere collecties
- 28 November 2015 - Conferentie Wikimedia Nederland, Utrecht (NL)
- 30 November 2015 - Meeting with Constant vzw, Cinema Nova, Wikimedia Belgium and Cie Artaban for the organisation of the Public Domain Day the January 16th.
- 4 December 2015 - (nl) Presentatie OpenRefine (Open data) Library Lab UGent door Ruben Verborgh (iMinds)
- 5 December 2015 - Board meeting (9th) at Kubus in Antwerp (notules | photos)
- 5 December 2015 11h - Inauguration of the Digithèque André Sterling @ Royal Academy for Overseas Sciences 
- 10 December 2015 - Meeting with Kempens Karakter DerekvG
Wikimedia Belgium impacts wiki communities mainly in Dutch, French, German and English; and the communities of smaller Belgian dialects.
|Wiki projects:||Wikipedia: de · en · fr · lb · li · ksh · nl · pcd · vls · wa · Wiktionary: de · en · fr · lb · li · nl · wa · Wikibooks: de · en · fr · li · nl · Wikinews: de · en · fr · Wikiquote: de · en · fr · li · nl · Wikisource: de · en · fr · li · nl · Wikiversity: de · en · fr · Wikivoyage: de · en · fr · nl|
More specifically, WM BE wants to reach out to
- the existing Wikiproject volunteers, contributors, illustrators
- GLAM organisations, GLAM institutions and GLAM-support organisations
- Education institutions
- existing open knowledge organisations in Belgium ('Communication efforts')
- off-wiki volunteers (to strengthen the Micro Grant Program).
Fit with strategy
- Our outreach efforts to our community, Part #1 fit within the Increasing participation-goal;
- The first steps in organising projects, Part #2 fit within the Encourage Innovation and the Increasing participation-goal;
- Our capacity building of the board, Part #3 fits the Stabilize Infrastructure-strategic goal.
Resources and risks
The grant request is supported by the Wikimedia Belgium board.
- MADe (talk) 19:54, 26 December 2014 (UTC)
- Geertivp (talk) 20:09, 26 December 2014 (UTC)
- DerekvG (talk) 23:08, 26 December 2014 (UTC)
- Afernand74 (talk) 12:00, 27 December 2014 (UTC)
- Dimi z (talk) 16:15, 27 December 2014 (UTC)
- M0tty (talk) 13:09, 31 December 2014 (UTC)
- Romaine (talk) 21:26, 8 January 2015 (UTC)
Project Volunteers to be invited Art+Feminism organisers :
|Risk||Comment||Measures to Avoid||Measures to Address||Expected outcome|
|Early stage of our organisation (see abc)||A lack of experience||-||Train board members and Volunteers on the job||Media Communication training at WM NL|
|a)Communication / communication breakdowns||mediation after comm breakdown||setup email, mailing list, collaborative project page||Example|
|b)Trust building||mediation after breakdown||not only electronic communication, face to face meetings and experience sharing||Example|
|c)Peer Review||-||no single person projects, always a revieuwer||Example|
|lack of procedures & resistance towards procedural approach and limitations||Apply procedures as imposed by BE-authorities, WMF||Define procedures precisely and in writing,
implement top down and not by consensus
|It will take 3-5 years to have a more or less complete set of operational & reporting procedure; 2 more to have a workable procedure guide|
|troll-attack||Cannot be avoided||Have troll blocked by stewards / deny attention, resist te urge to defend||the KOL.Z. case|
|Lack of external funding||WMF-funding requests||Contribution in kind form partners (work performed, grant requests from authorities||Engage cooperation form WMNL, WMDE, WMFR or WMUK
Grants from WMF
|As we get more established in the collaboration with our GLAM partners we can discuss more openly their resource commitments, and funding through their grant/subsidy channels|
|Difficulties finding volunteers||Volunteers might have their own projects with a funding issue;
staffing problems : experience, commitment, volunteer burn out;
unwelcomming attitude at wikipedia
|Example||Wikipedia training, Wikiducation;
Volunteer PDI(personal development initiative) : On wiki volunteer training (admin, conflict handling, arbcom, stewarts), Off wiki volunteer training (Wikipedia Train-the-trainer, Wikipedia Ambassador program), Wikiductaion Educator training program
|Accomodation||finding good venues for meetings & events. Suitable location : close to public transport, pref'y in Brussels, price (free = illusion).||Example||Example||Example|
|Distance||Belgium = 300 km across; geographical distribution of members/volunteers makes transport an issue||Example||Example||Example|
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Reallocation funds table
Rounded to nearest 5€
|Activity||Underspend from budget allocated 2015 H1||Total budget spend 2015 S2||Comments breakdown|
|outreach efforts to our community (Part #1)|
|1.1 Setup website||€ 1,070.00||€ 75.00||Hosting costs. Currently we used a free template and website engine.|
|Subtotal part#1 :||€ 1,070.00||€ 75.00|
|Projects and Micro Grant program (Part #2)|
|2.1 Provisioning projects (6x under 150€, 1x under 1500€)||€ 2,160.00||€ 15.00||Three small projects were funded (see overview).|
|Subtotals part #2 :||€ 2,160.00||€ 15.00|
|Capacity building of the board (Part #3)|
|3.1 GLAM : Participation in SOIMA||€ 0.00||€ 2,790.00||Projected participation cost in budget 2015 S2 2500.00€.|
|3.2 Attendance at meetings of Dutch WM (Erasmusprijs, Wikizaterdagen)||€ 900.00||€ 500.00||Travel costs|
|3.3 Wikimeets and board-meetings||€ 855.00||€ 685.00||750€ underspend from project days and 155€ underspend for board meetings .|
|3.4 Attending Conference||€ 0.00||€ 35.00|
|Subtotal aprt #3 :||€ 1,755.00||€ 4010.00|
|Other overspend reported in 2015 h1 (source)||€ -1,110.00|
|1.2 General admin||€ 0.00||€ 125.00||general admin expences omitted from budget in H1|
|Totals :||€ 3,875.00||€ 4,225.00|
Amount be carried forward from WMBE Grant-request Budget 2015 H1
- 3875 €