Wikimedia Belgium Newsletter - April 2016
Please find the newsletter of April 2016 from Wikimedia Belgium below.
The newsletter covers the period of January to March 2016.
- 4-16 April 2016: Writing weeks about the Brussels Capital Region to describe this region better on Wikipedia. You are welcome to participate in any language Wikipedia you like. Read more >>>
During the writing weeks also writing sessions on location are organised and are open to anyone. These are at:
- 5 April: library of Koekelberg
- 6 April: library of Koekelberg
- 7 April: library of Jette
- 7 April: library of Woluwe-Saint-Pierre
- 9 April: Muntpunt library, Brussels
- 11 April: library of Koekelberg
- 12 April: library of Anderlecht
- 12 April: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- 13 April: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- 14 April: library of Jette
- 14 April: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- July-August 2016: Wiki Loves Art photo contest about Belgian art
- 19-21 August 2016: WikiConvention francophone in Paris
- September 2016: Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest about cultural heritage sites in Belgium and Luxembourg
- On 15 January 2016 Wikipedia turned 15. With this occasion we got multiple press inquiries and media attention in the Belgian press.
- On 2 February, Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia, received a doctoratus honoris causa from the Université catholique de Louvain (UCL).
- On 25 February a photography hackathon was organised by the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and Europeana at FabLab, where WMBE members Stefano Caneva and Derek v. Giroulle gave a presentation about Wikimedia.
- On 28 February a Wikimedia presentation was given at Université catholique de Louvain (UCL) for non French native people by M0tty.
- On 29 February the conference Open Belgium was organised in Antwerp by Open Knowledge Belgium. There two presentations related to Wikimedia were given: one about Wiki Loves Art by Romaine, and one about Linked Open Data publications by Flemish museums through Wikidata by Packed vzw.
On 23 January 2016 Wikimedia Belgium had its annual general assembly. There the members chose a new board for our association. Read more >>>
The Wikiducation.be project is ready for launch and pilots in Dutch. The objective is to have students contribute to Wikipedia in the context of their classwork. Read more >>>
Linked Open Data through Wikidata
Packed vzw started in 2015, with support from Wikimedia and its users, the project Linked Open Data via Wikidata in what cultural institutions start working with Wikidata. The project included a white paper being written and participating organisations having their CSV datasets being added to Wikidata. Read more >>>
Wiki Loves Art
Wiki Loves Art is a photo contest about Belgian art in what we invite the public to take photos of art in participating organisations with an art collection. The contest takes place during July and August 2016.
In the past weeks we have written an invitation for participating organisations we slowly start to send out to interested institutions. Read more >>>
Writing weeks Brussels
On 4 to 17 April 2016 the writing weeks about Brussels are organised. During these two weeks anyone is invited to write on Wikipedia about the Brussels Capital Region in any language you like to have this region better described on Wikipedia.
In the past weeks we have organised training sessions for library staff of participating libraries.
In the coming weeks multiple writing sessions on location will be organised, and you are welcome to join them! Read more >>>
Public Domain Day
On both 16 January and 25 January a Public Domain Day Celebration was organised in Brussels. Read more >>>
Just For The Record
Just For The Record is a project addressing how gender is represented in new media and writing/publishing tools like Wikipedia, and what influence this has on the way history is recorded. To address gender issues Just for the record organised a series of events in Brussels.
During these events, observations were taken as the point of departure for lectures and discussions, followed by an intervention: a crash course in Wikipedia editing to improve gender neutrality on Wikipedia. Read more >>>
On 30-31 January we had a stand at the annual open source conference in Brussels, FOSDEM, with the support from the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Deutschland. During the conference multiple talks were given about Wikimedia subjects, and many users from the Wikimedia movement were present. Read more >>>