This page describes the Wikipedia writing session we organised together with the Goethe-Institut in Brussels.
The edit-a-thon (Wikipedia writing session) is organised with the Goethe-Institut in Brussels to write articles about our common European heritage. It is not only organised in Brussels, but also in other European cities. With the edit-a-thon participants get an introduction in Wikipedia and then start to edit Wikipedia with support from experienced Wikipedia editors.
History and background
“Erbstuecke” is a digital project designed by the Goethe-Institut and organised and realised in cooperation with Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. and in consultation with the German Cultural Heritage Committee (Deutsches Nationalkomitee für Denkmalschutz, DNK) in different European cities and towns. The DNK itself is responsible for all activities of the European Year of Cultural Heritage within Germany.
The aim of “Erbstuecke” is to tell the story of our common roots, of how much of Europe can be found in the cultural heritage of Estonia, Portugal and Serbia for instance. We want to encourage to participate as many people and as many European countries as possible with a variety of their “heirlooms”. Cultural cooperations and influences have constituted the European cultural agenda long before the European Union was founded. Our common European heritage keeps on influencing our lives. “Sharing heritage: where the past meets the future” is this year’s slogan.
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. contacted interested Wikimedia chapters all over Europe. Together with these Wikimedia chapters the Goethe-Institut planned to organise “Edit-a-thons”, research and editing festivals that take place in their libraries, in partner libraries or GLAM* institutions.
- Generic budget: GLAM program
- 21 September 2018 - Meeting with Goethe-Institut in Brussels as preparation for tomorrow (Romaine)
- 22 September 2018 - Erbstuecke edit-a-thon at Goethe-Institut in Brussels (activity page | photos) (Romaine)
The metrics and statistics of this project are:
- Number of people present with an activity: 9 people
- Number of newly registered users: 1 user
- Number of content pages created/improved (recorded): 3 articles, 3 images
- Number of edit-a-thons and workshops: 1
Announcements and notices
- ( ) Héritage culturel. Histoires et anecdotes (archived)
- ( ) Erfstukken. Europese verhalen (archived)
- ( ) Erbstücke. Europäische Geschichten (archived)
- 9 November 2018 - Report published in the Wikimedia GLAM newsletter This Month in GLAM about the Erbstuecke edit-a-thon (info | report)