User:Lionel Scheepmans/Board member training report 2019
- The bigger the chapter is, the bigger is the influence of employees/salaries on volunteers and board members.
- The change starts as with the first employee, and incurs a change of dynamic.
- Managing employees is not easy. + law, health an safety, taxes …
- The chapters are very different from each other in terms of progress, funding and dynamics.
- A lot of time was spent talking about the management of associations and conflicts but little about the objective of the movement.
- Leadership skills in a very complicated way that aims to simplify things by modeling everything and discussing concepts that are sometimes very far from the reality on the ground.
- People can't follow if don't have a good level of English.
Present chapters informations
7 board members (legal responsability , Compliance with WMF), 5 employee (outreach , partnerschips) One meeting per week on IRCTAX, donation with tax exemption 120 000 € individual 1% tax discounts. Give the 1% to « develop Polish Wikipedia ». Financially independent from the foundation as Italy.
7 board, 3 employee. The strategy is limited to projects and activities of support and outreach
8 Employees, 6 board members. Everything is done online, sometimes with meetings in rented places.
0 Employee, the chapter starts again with a new approval from the foundation following a stoppage caused by internal tensions.
2 Employees (no director), 60 members Meeting weekly and the president weekly with the employee.
Employees, 6-7 Board ?, 600 members with a nomination comity. Professionalization and introduction of people who are not editors at all.
Afrique du sud
0 employees since January 2019 but occasional subcontracting contracts for certain tasks. The only employee was fired following a breach of trust that resulted in a loss of money. She had little Wikipedia experience and continues to edit today because she no longer has a job. African descendants are still very few in the country's decision-making assemblies and do not see the value of volunteering, which remains a rich activity that can use their time for something other than finding money to live on.
5 Employees, The Executive Director (ED) of WMNL was confused when an employee is a major contributor and started editing projects after his commitment. Editing the encyclopedia does not seem to be an advantage when hiring.
Is not enthusiastic about the fact that the Executive Director must be a Wikipedian.
More than 125 employees, 6-7 board members. Exists for 14 years and redefines the role of the board regularly
Has integrated an Arab member into the board.