Wikimedia Belgium Newsletter - May 2018
Please find the newsletter of May 2018 from Wikimedia Belgium below.
Rue du Trône 51
- 19 May 2018 - Edit-a-thon about Belgian authors & artists in the Royal Library of Belgium in Brussels (invitation | program (page 5)). Exposition till 14 July with graphical work works by Felix Timmermans and Gustave van de Woestyne.
- 20 May 2018 - Amnesty International Vlaanderen organises an edit-a-thon in Dutch to describe women and/or people from minority groups on Wikipedia and give them in this way a face. (announcement in Dutch)
- 26 May 2018 - Edit-a-thon public domain day in Muntpunt (invitation | program (page 5))
- Date to be announced - As part of the European Year of Cultural Heritage, the Flemish Government organises together with PACKED vzw, FARO and Wikimedia Belgium, a photo contest around cultural heritage in Flanders and Brussels. The precise starting date has not yet been determined, but the contest will start this spring and run until Autumn 2018. The announcement will follow.
- Date to be announced - As part of the European Year of Cultural Heritage, Wikimedia Belgium organises also a photo contest around cultural heritage in Wallonia. The precise starting date has not yet been determined, but the contest will start this spring and run until Autumn 2018. The announcement will follow.
- On 8 November 2017 Wikimedia Belgium endorsed the strategic direction of the Wikimedia movement. Read more >>>
- On 20 January 2018 the WikiOwls have been reached out to the most valued contributions to the Dutch Wikipedia. Read more >>>
- On 25 May 2018 the new European privacy law "General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)" will be effective. Read more >>>
- In Autumn 2018 structured data will be implemented on the media database Wikimedia Commons. Read more >>>
At the end of the year it was time to close the books and write reports to close the year. For 2018 we received a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation. We also had the annual General Assembly of Wikimedia Belgium where the board of 2018 was elected. Read more >>>
Iedereen WIKI (Dutch for Everybody WIKI) is a project of the local library of Ternat supported by Wikimedia Belgium. The project's aim is to digitally unlock local knowledge by making digital data accessible for everyone and to stimulate skills. Read more >>>
Cultural institutions (GLAM)
Wiki Loves Public Space
In July and August 2017 we organised the photo contest Wiki Loves Public Space around modern buildings, public artworks, memorials and monuments. We organised this contest to use the momentum as this was in Belgium the first full summer in what we had Freedom of Panorama. Read more >>>
On 8 March, International Women's Day, we organised together with the Permanent Representation of Sweden to the EU in Brussels, and with support from Wikimedia Sweden, the GenderGap edit-a-thon to create and improve biographies on women on Wikipedia. Read more >>>
Dictionary argot released for Wiktionary
At the recent Wikimedia conference in the Netherlands in November 2017, the writer and publisher of the "Dictionary Popular French - Dutch", Berry van de Wouw, attended the session on Wiktionary. In a conversation afterwards he came up with the proposal to donate the contents of this dictionary. Read more >>>
Mois de la contribution francophone
In March of this year, the 2018 edition of the Mois de la contribution francophone took place, the month of contributions in the French language. Read more >>>
Call for volunteers
As a growing chapter, we would like to share our passion for the Wikimedia projects and free knowledge by organizing more events across Belgium. But we need you! Read more >>>