Wikimedia Belgium Newsletter - February 2017
Please find the newsletter of February 2017 from Wikimedia Belgium below.
The newsletter covers the period of September 2016 to January 2017.
Rue du Trône 51
- 4-5 February 2017: FOSDEM conference in Brussels
- 6 March 2017: Open Belgium conference in Brussels. Wikimedia Belgium is present with presentation about gendergap on Wikipedia and posters with the winning photos of the photo contest Wiki Loves Art.
- 22 March 2017: Just For The Record organises a Wikipedia event around performing arts. Watch their website for more information at justfortherecord.space.
- 25 March 2017: Just For The Record organises a Wikipedia event around the archives of RoSa vzw - knowledge centre for gender and feminism. Watch their website for more information at justfortherecord.space.
- ... March/April 2017: Writing weeks about the Brussels Capital Region to describe this region better on Wikipedia. You are welcome to participate in any Wikipedia language edition you like. During the writing weeks writing sessions on location are organised accessible for everyone. The precise dates are not yet determined, but are planned to take place during two weeks in the month March or April.
- On 16 December the Flemish Art Collection and Packed vzw organised a study day around the subject of durable digitalisation in museum's world, held in the Museum of Fine Arts in Ghent. Read more >>>
- On 1 January 2017 it was again Public Domain Day. Read more >>>
- On 9 January 2017 the Wikimedia Foundation announced they received a grant of $ 3.015.000 for the development of structured data on Wikimedia Commons. Read more >>>
- On 21 January 2017 Wikimedia Nederland organised a new year's event, during which the WikiOwls have been reached out to the most valued contributions to the Dutch Wikipedia. Read more >>>
At the end of the year it is time to close the books and write reports to close the year. We also had on 28 January 2017 our annual General Assembly of Wikimedia Belgium where the board of 2017 was elected. Further our annual grant from the Wikimedia Foundation has been approved. Read more >>>
In the past six months two times an introduction in Wikipedia was given: at the University of Luxembourg and the College Vives in Kortrijk. Read more >>>
Wiki Loves Art
In July and August 2016 we organised the photo contest Wiki Loves Art and on 25 November we organised the award ceremony. The winning photos are known and the prizes have been reached out. Read more >>>
Wiki Loves Monuments
In September 2016 we organised for the fifth time the photo contest Wiki Loves Monuments in Belgium and Luxembourg and on 25 November the award ceremony was organised. There the prizes have been reached out to the photographers of the winning photos. In 2017 we want to focus on monuments that do not have a photo yet. Read more >>>
Dutch Wikipedia printed
How would it look like if the Dutch language Wikipedia would be printed? That could be seen in a art project in Ghent. No, not every volume was printed, but the art work gave a good impression hoe large the Dutch Wikipedia has grown already. Read more >>>
We are not in a post-fact world. Facts matter
No, we’re not in a post-fact world. On Wikipedia, facts matter. - This was the title of a blog post of the Wikimedia Foundation and also a video was released. Read more >>>
Looking for volunteers: What would you like to organise?
For over 15 years volunteers work on Wikipedia by expanding and improving it, in text and imagery. Both online as offline, like a Wikipedia writing session on location or a photography tour. Do you want to organise something local under our guidance? Let us know! Read more >>>