Happy New Year Message/2017
Dear Wikimedia volunteer,
The year 2016 was for our association Wikimedia Belgium (WMBE) an interesting and intense year. We could organize with you many concrete and successful activities.
- A activity in the Royal Library in the framework of the commemoration of prof. Paul Otlet
- In the spring, we organized the Brussels write Week (290 new articles published, 81 participants)
- Wiki Loves Art was a very nice cooperation with numerous Flemish, Brussels and Walloon museums
- Wiki Loves Monuments Belgium-Luxembourg; two of our national finalists ended with the 16 best pictures worldwide!
- In collaboration with Just For The Record, edit nine-a-thons around Gendergap on Wikipedia.
- Cooperation with numerous museums, KIK-IRPA, Open Belgium, Constant, PACKED, FOSDEM, VUB Infogroep
- Close collaboration with Wikimedia Netherlands
Our association was regularly in the news:
- We arrived at the TV news 15 years Wikipedia
- Several newspaper interviews following the Brussels write week
- Several entries in Belgian media about Wiki Loves Art and Wiki Loves Monuments
- An article in De Standaard i.v.m. the Gendergap on Wikipedia
- A VRT Radio 1 interview, and an interview with De Standaard i.v.m. Wikimedia Conference Netherlands and Gendergap
We were able to convince our politicians to new laws i.v.m. approve copyrights:
- Law on Freedom of Panorama
For more details I refer to our website https://be.wikimedia.org/wiki/Activities.
The board of WMBE you would like to specially thank because you have financially supported us by voluntarily paying your membership. We want to encourage everyone to pay membership fees. For only 20 euros per year you can join the movement. This allows us to develop a number of activities and to support our action. You can also make a free gift. We received e.g. a spontaneous gift of 50 euros with the words "Merci pour Wikipedia". Very heartwarming.
We were repeatedly asked about the possibility of receiving gifts with tax exemption. The legislation in this regard is very complex. We are examining this issue and will let you know when we have found a solution. Know that you yourself can imagine activities. Please feel free to contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org. Do you have friends or acquaintances who are also interested in the wonderful world of Wikipedia and Wikimedia other projects, let us know or send an e-mail. You can also subscribe to the newsletter. See our website www.wikimedia.be.
I in the name of the board wish you a fruitful and happy New Year 2017. I would like to thank everyone who supported our association in 2016.
We also give due attention to gender. An interesting life story can be read in this context w: Alfonsina Strada.
I also invite you to attend the General assembly Fiscal year 2016.
Geert Van Pamel
President Wikimedia Belgium