Happy New Year Message
Dear Wikimedia volunteer, members of Wikimedia Belgium,
The year 2018 was an interesting and intense year for our association Wikimedia Belgium (WMBE). Together with you, we were able to organise many concrete and successful activities:
- Editathon on the Gender Gap with the Goethe Institute
- The Wiki Loves Heritage!
- A Wikidata training with 60 participants in the Royal Library
- In collaboration with Open Knowledge Belgium, the fortnightly Wiki Club around the Gendergap on Wikipedia.
- A hackathon Hack the Gender Gap with 64 participants.
- Writing for Wikipedia" training course for the Ternat heritage cell
- In December we organized a German writing week
- Cooperation with numerous museums, KIK-IRPA, Open Belgium, Constant, PACKED
- Close cooperation with Wikimedia Netherlands
Our association regularly appeared in the news:
- We came on the RTBF web radio/TV
- Various newspaper interviews in response to the Hack the Gender Gap
- Various entries in the Belgian media about Wikipedia
For more details I would like to refer to our website Activities.
Please note that you can also suggest activities yourself. Feel free to contact us via infowikimedia.be. If you have friends or acquaintances who are also interested in the wonderful world of Wikipedia and the other projects of Wikimedia, please let us know or send us an e-mail. You can also propose to organize a training on Wikipedia, Wikidata, or Wikimedia Commons. You can also subscribe to the newsletter.
The board of WMBE would like to thank all those who have already paid for their membership as well as all those who have made a free donation.
We want to encourage everyone to pay their annual contribution. For only 20 € per year you can become a member of the movement. This allows us to set up a number of activities and support our operation. Active volunteers who regularly write on Wikipedia are exempt.
It is also possible to make a free gift, as many do. We received several donations of 20, 50 or even more than 100 euros. Very heartwarming. We were repeatedly asked about the possibility of receiving donations with tax exemption. The legislation in this regard is very complex. We are not yet in a position to issue tax certificates, but we are examining this possibility and will let you know when we have found a solution to this problem.
We receive an annual grant from the Wikimedia Foundation based on global fundraising. But local support is just as necessary.
2019 is ahead of us with a whole range of interesting activities. For more information, please refer to our agenda, or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WikimediaBelgium.
On behalf of Wikimedia Belgium,
Engaging people in free knowledge